Recycle Your E-Waste

April 22, 2015


Electronic waste, or “e-waste,” is a term used to describe any electronic device that is outdated, obsolete, broken, donated, discarded, or at the end of its useful life. This includes cell phones, computers, laptops, PDAs, monitors, televisions, printers, scanners, and any other electrical device.

With the rapid expansion of technology, combined with the relatively short shelf life of many present day electronic devices, more and more e-waste is generated each year. Often, these discarded devices end up in landfills or are incinerated, which can cause major environmental problems in our communities.

Many of the materials found in electronic devices are extremely hazardous. These include lead, mercury, and cadmium. When these electronics end up in landfills, many of these chemicals leach into the soil during rainfall or are released into the atmosphere when burned. These chemicals can have dangerous impacts on the health of plants and animals and when inhaled can lead to serious respiratory problems. Fortunately, the simple solution to limiting the dangerous effects of careless e-waste disposal is safe and responsible recycling.

Each year, the United States alone produces up to 50 million tons of e-waste. Of this, only 20-25% is recycled safely and responsibly. The other 75% ends up in landfills. As a direct consequence, hazardous materials found in this waste routinely contaminate our air and water supplies. By safely and responsibly recycling your e-waste, you can help protect your community and the ecosystem from these dangerous chemicals.

Learn more about our process


Read full article…

It’s Earth Month!

April 1, 2015

Today is the beginning of Earth Month!

Yes, I said that right, Earth Month. Although some people only recognize Earth Day, on April 22nd, we want to encourage everyone to celebrate our Earth everyday. We understand that a lot of people don’t know what they can or should recycle, how they can reduce or reuse items they’d otherwise throw away, or the human and environmental health risks those certain items are causing when not properly disposed of. We are here to help make the world a better place and show that you can help too. Join us in making Earth Day/Month into part of your everyday lives because here at Maxxum, everyday is an Earth Day. Let’s celebrate!

Keep checking back with us to see how we’re changing the world and how you can help.